Thursday, April 12, 2012

Trials and how to take joy in them.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

We are going through a trial…Count it all joy (James 1:2-4)
How? This is how:
1.      We see our response (outer man) to any given trial, which reveals our heart (inner man). Jesus said we speak out of the overflow of our heart. Our heart is exposed for a brief moment, when otherwise it is unobservable (Jeremiah 17:9).
2.      When our heart is revealed, it is an opportunity to confess, repent, and change by God’s ever sufficient grace!
3.      That is true joy; knowing that trials allow us to be refined into Christlikeness, which brings God more glory. And God’s glory is what it’s all about!

Example: Anger that is not directed at sin is sin. What I mean is this; I should be angry when someone is murdered. I should not be angry when someone cuts me off in traffic. I should be angry that Death still has a hold on mankind. I should not be angry that God allows people to die.

More specifically, my Father-in-law passed away 2/7/12. I didn’t like that God (being omniscient) implemented His plan within my life. “How dare you God take this man from us” was hidden within my heart. I didn’t like that our children would not know or see their Papa. I was angry that he was taken from us by something that seemed so trivial and routine. I began to point my accusatory finger at doctors, nurses, and even God. His death revealed my direct anger at God. I didn’t see my selfishness, worldly mindedness (as opposed to eternally minded), or my unwillingness to allow God to bend or even break my plans apart for something He knows to be better. But I didn’t see all this before. The trial revealed my heart.

[Note: To know what trials are, it is helpful to know what they are not. Trials are not God’s way of punishing us for something we didn’t do but should have or something we did do but shouldn’t have. God doesn’t allow someone to be sick only because they forgot to read the Bible and pray that morning. God didn’t give me a flat tire because I was sleepy in church. This is an animistic worldview. Animism is simply defined as humans appeasing the spirits or gods in order to receive a desired outcome. E.g. Ritualistic dance to bring rain. I dance, you bring the rain. You get what you want (worship) and I get what I want (rain). If I don’t dance in worship, you will bring a drought. Christianity is the only religion that isn’t based in animism even though some of what Christians do is animistic, e.g. carrying a Bible for good luck or believing God will automatically and continually bring nothing but blessings when doing what’s right or He’ll zap us when we get out of line. Cross-reference 2 Timothy 3:12 and 1 Peter 2:19-21. This does not negate God’s disciple toward us when we willingly continue in sin without confession and repentance.]

What’s the meaning of all this?

God chose a long time ago, without our counsel or consent, to use trails to reveal our hearts, so that we, through His grace, can become more like Jesus, with the ultimate goal of receiving more glory from us and getting more glory for Himself. It’s all about His glory, not the relief of present sufferings. God, in His infinite wisdom, may choose not to answer our prayers the way we want Him to because He is accomplishing His ultimate, holy plan. Our prayers should then be calibrated accordingly; “God, please help me respond in a godly way within this trial. But when my heart is revealed within this trial, I pray for wisdom (James 1:5) and grace to change to be more like Your Son. Help me glorify You, whatever the outcome.”

These words may seem like salt and lemon juice in an open wound but they are God’s words. Count it (synonym: consider it) all joy. God will finish what He started in each of us. He uses trials to refine us.

Remember this: Romans 8:18 says, For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Amen!

I hope this is an encouragement to you.

Respectfully,
           
George Fuller
Founder & CEO
Ikthoos, LLC
(650) 308-4667

No comments:

Post a Comment