Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Remember This; God Affiliated Himself With Us


Here’s my perspective:

Let's compare a couple things.

I'm a home inspector and I put affiliate logos such as certification (to include radon, mold, etc.) as well as local chamber of commerce logos on my marketing materials. Some home inspectors get on a Realtor list for referrals. I've had people call me because I was not on a Realtor list. It's the customer's choice. Some people will look down on certain affiliations, etc. But some people like that I've aligned with authorities in the industry such as continuing education trainers and home inspection associations.
Consider this, I just reenlisted this morning for 6 more years in the Army. I don't say this for attention; that's not my point. I put Veteran Owned Business on my business cards and website. Why? One reason is for accountability. I hold myself to the military standards and experiences within my business because that’s who I am. Another reason is because I know people want to do business with Vets. Does that make me greedy? Some may think so and that's okay. I'm proud to serve the greatest nation on Earth.

Putting affiliation logos, showing military pride, and/or sticking a Christian fish on your marketing materials is to show who you are and what you will and will not stand for. It may or may not affect your customers base in a negative way. However, we need to remember niche marketing. In the marketed masses, one has to pick a target market. A lot of marketing has become white noise. Mr. Keeter is on point when he gave his example of buying an expensive suit. Market to those you know will do business with you for maximum ROI. I don't market to renters as a home inspector. Does that affect or negate potential customers, yes. However, my other marketing efforts more than make up for marketing to the wrong people. Those who fish go where the fish live. Sometimes those fish are Christian fish. That's was my attempt at humor.

If someone has done a study on the comparison of Christian owned business vs. not revealing Christian owned business and how it relates to dollars, I think we would all benefit from your quantitative findings. It is about dollars. That’s why I’m in business; to provide for my family. I'm looking for concrete statistical information. Business marketing involves what works and what doesn't work. I'm working on a project to show the public's opinion on this very topic.

The important thing is to remember that we are ambassadors for Christ, wherever we are, if we show our Christian affiliation or not.

Remember this; God affiliated Himself with us.

“For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(Romans 5:6-8 ESV).”

For all Christians; those that stick a fish on their car and those that don’t want to show a Christian affiliation within the market place and may be believe that personal life is personal and business life is business, let me challenge your thinking as well as my own by asking;
                                             
How does the world know you’re Christians? Are we known by a Christian fish?

No, we are known by our fruit; what our inner man (heart) produces and our outer man does (word or deed). (Matthew 7:16)

Jesus said we speak out of the overflow of the heart. Do I run my business according to Scripture?

If we don’t show the “fish,” we are to still bare the fruit of the spirit.

If we do tell everyone we are a Christian Business Owner, we are to still bear the fruit of the spirit (Gal. 5:22-23 ESV) Some act as the world when they have “Jesus saves” printed on their estimate or invoice.

I’m a Certified Home Inspector and a Veteran Business Owner. I'm a Christian but my business isn't. I’m a Christian Business Owner not a Christian Business Owner.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the Founder and Perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
(Hebrews 12:1-2)

Do all things unto the Lord!

God bless you and your business!

Respectfully,
           
Founder & CEO
“Connecting the Christian Community!”

No comments:

Post a Comment