Friday, April 13, 2012

I'm a Christian but my business isn't.

Christian Business Owners,

I would like to take the opportunity to encourage you.

This August will mark my 14th year in the Army. I've been on both Active Duty and Reserve Duty. I've been deployed 2 times overseas; once to Kuwait and once to Iraq. I've been in Field Artillery as a crew member for the multiple launch rocket systems. I graduated from Baptist Bible College in 2006 and started grad school the next semester. Currently, I'm an Army Reserve Instructor for the Chaplain Assistant Reclassification and Non Commissioned Officer School. Soldiers are Soldiers 24/7/365. At any moment I will pick up my gear and defend to the death! 

Soldiers don't just drop their gear and leave when they don't feel like being a Soldier. That's called Absent Without Leave (AWOL).

Sometimes I drive like a mad man. I choose to be frustrated at drivers that seemingly don't know how to drive. We all pay taxes for roads, but I want everyone else to get off the roads so I can drive without obstructions.

At home, I allow myself to get frustrated by clutter. I want to come home to a clean home even though we have 3 children, all under the age of 5. I sin against them with my words.

As you read in an earlier post, trials don't cause us to sin; trials reveal our heart, our inner man. Why discuss this? What's the point here? Why post about your sinful responses? What does this have to do with me; a Christian Business Owner?

Here's the point: I'm a sinner saved by grace! When I start my car, my salvation doesn't change. When I come home to a mess, I don't leave God's saving grace at the door.

It's the exact opposite: I'm a Christian. I'm a Christian Soldier. I'm a Christian Dad. I'm a Christian driver. I'm a Christian when I'm attending a church service. I'm a Christian neighbor. And yes, I'm a Christian business owner. Yes, I run (by God's grace) a business.

Christians are Christians 24/7/365/FOREVER. Christians don’t just drop their adoption status or salvation or shouldn’t leave their Bible at home just because they own a business.

Let me draw your attention to the Standard: 

John 15:17-19
  Jesus said “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.”

John 16:33
  Jesus said “I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (emphasis mine).

Romans 1:16-17
  Paul said “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek (emphasis mine).

Matthew 5:15-17
  Jesus said “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (emphasis mine).

How will others see our light if we hide it under a basket? Put it on a hill, on your marketing materials, so the world can see!

The above Scriptures are very specific. In this life, we will have trouble, even in business. Why? Because we live in a sin cursed world. Also, because we let others know about our faith in Jesus.

We need to be “light” wherever we are; on the battle field, in the car, at church, and yes, in business. We are ambassadors for Christ. We are to speak on His behalf.

I don’t parade my military service around for selfish gain. I don’t say I’m a Soldier to gain applause or out of an entitlement mindset or even to get a thank you. However, I did put Veteran owned business on my website and business cards. Why? Because military service has changed my life. Because I do business a little differently than others, given my military experience and training.

The same applies to my relationship with Jesus.

The title states, “I'm a Christian but my business isn't.” Why? Because businesses can’t be Christians; they’re not human. Lame joke, I know.

I’m a Christian…business owner not a Christian business…owner. This is a fundamental difference in definition.

People want to do business with Christians because we are more likely to be trustworthy among other things. People want to trust their mechanic, handyman, and plumber. We say we’re Christians because we want our customers to know we will treat them the way the Bible says we should.

What does the Bible say about how we should treat others?

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Love your neighbor.

Put other’s interests before your own.

Die to yourself.

Speak the truth in love.

Among others

I’m a Christian that strives to shine in my business. That’s full time ministry right there! I’m blessed to be a Christian and honored to be a business owner. By God’s grace, I’m a Christian business owner and I’m not ashamed to let others know. I don’t use the term “Christian owned business” lightly. And that’s why I let others know about my Christian owned business. I put a Christian fish on my website and business cards. Why? Because God changed my life. Because I want customers to know that I will treat them according to Scripture.

Christians, if you own a business, don’t go AWOL. Share your faith, according to Scripture!

Yes, you can comment on my opinions and exegesis. I welcome the opportunity to learn and grow. I don’t claim to know it all, by any means.

               
George Fuller
Founder & CEO
Ikthoos, LLC
info@ikthoos.org
www.ikthoos.org
(650) 308-4667

1 comment: